Archive for the ‘Democrat’ Category

Democrat Jenny Wilson sets sights on Sen. Orrin Hatch in 2018 – Deseret News

Scott G Winterton, Deseret News

FILE - Jenny Wilson, with her son Zach, talks to Democrats gathered Tuesday, Nov. 4, 2014, in Salt Lake City.

SALT LAKE CITY Salt Lake County Councilwoman Jenny Wilson announced Monday that she will challenge Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, in 2018.

Wilson, a Democrat, said she has been "overwhelmed" by encouragement from Utahns who want change in Washington.

"They are tired of the bickering and recognize the bipartisan successes I have had working locally," she said. "Utahns want an apolitical voice, and that's what I represent."

Wilson, 51, launched an exploratory committee earlier this year and has raised $139,328, according to her campaign. She will hold a formal campaign kickoff event in late August.

"Utahns want a senator who works for them, who listens to them and who gets things done. But after 40 years of Orrin Hatch, Washington is broken. Orrin Hatch is a decent man, but hes part of the problem in Washington, and he has forgotten who sent him there," she said.

Hatch, 83, has indicated he will run for an eighth term, barring some unforeseen circumstance.

President pro tem of the Senate and chairman of the powerful Senate Finance Committee, Hatch pledged in 2012 that his current term would be his last but seems to have changed his mind.

The senator's leadership role puts him at the center of the most critical debates in Washington, including health care and tax reform, said Hatch spokesman Matt Whitlock.

"With all the problems Utahns sent him here to solve, the 2018 election cycle has not been top of mind," Whitlock said. "While he intends to run, he has not yet reached a final decision and hopes to by the end of the year. But should the senator decide to run, he will win."

The seven-term senator raised about $1.3 million in the first three months of this year and another $1 million in the quarter that ended June 30.

The amount raised from January through March is more than he collected in all of 2016. The senator has about $4.1 million overall in his campaign account.

A Democrat hasn't held the Senate seat since Hatch took it from Sen. Frank Moss in 1976.

Wilson, the daughter of former Salt Lake City Mayor Ted Wilson, has worked at various levels of government, including as chief of staff to late Rep. Bill Orton, D-Utah. She also served as an aide to the Utah Legislature and was a candidate for Salt Lake City mayor in 2007.

Wilson said Hatch used to pride himself on being a check and balance on the administration, but that has change since President Donald Trump won the White House.

"The lack of check and balance may be what put me over the edge on this thing, among other things," she said about her decision to run. "We need Congress to be a check on the administration no matter which party has a president in office, and that is not the case. Hatch is doubling down on Trump."

Like Orton, a Blue Dog Democrat, Wilson said she would stand up to her party when necessary.

In the private and nonprofit sectors, Wilson worked for the Sundance Institute and Film Festival, 2002 Winter Olympics, Voices for Utah Children and the University of Utahs John A. Moran Eye Center.

Wilson graduated from the University of Utah and received a master's in public administration from the Harvard Kennedy School. Wilson and her husband have two sons.

"I cant imagine there is anyone out there that is more in touch with Utah than me," the fifth-generation Utahn said. "I think I understand this state."

Wilson has set her sights on Hatch but said she brings collaborative and bipartisan ethics that would play well regardless of who the GOP opponent might be.

"I think that were missing that in Washington, so whether its Hatch or anybody else, I think I can say, Look, Ive been elected. I know how to deliver with accomplishments. Im in touch with the community,'" she said.

See more here:
Democrat Jenny Wilson sets sights on Sen. Orrin Hatch in 2018 - Deseret News

Rating Change: Open Seat Gives Democrats Takeover Opportunity in New Mexico – Roll Call

With re-election rates often hovering above 90 percent, open seats representa critical factor in the Democrats quest for a House majority. New Mexicos 2nd District has been an elusive target for years, as long as Rep. Steve Pearce has been on the ballot.

But the Republican congressmans decision to run for governor opens up a majority-Hispanic district that could be vulnerable if an anti-GOP wave develops.

Pearces districtis an expansive onethat envelopes the southern half of New Mexico, forming a U-shape around Albuquerque. The Hispanic population of the 2nd District was 54 percent in 2015, according to the U.S. Census Bureaus American Community Survey.

Thats a larger numberthan the voting-age and the voting-eligible population of the district, but the opportunity for Democrats to organize and for President Donald Trump to antagonize Hispanic voters is there.

Trump did fairly well in 2016, carryingthe district 50 percent to 40 percent over Hillary Clinton, according to calculations by Daily Kos Elections. But Mitt Romney edged President Barack Obama 52percent to 45 percent herefour years earlier.

Pearce was first elected, 56 percent to 44 percent, over Democrat John Arthur Smith in 2002, when he won the open seat following GOP Rep. Joe Skeens retirement.Pearce represented the 2nd until 2008, when he opted to run for the U.S. Senate but lost in the general election to Democrat Tom Udall.

Democrat Harry Teague won Pearces open seat, 56 percent to 44 percent, over Republican Ed Tinsley in 2008 (whileJohn McCainwas carryingthe district 50-48 percent). Teague held it for just two years until Pearce came back to defeat him, 56percent to 44 percent.

Democratic strategists have had their eye on the district because of the Hispanic population, but talked about the seat as a long-term project. The buzz from the party accelerated briefly when Eddy County Commissioner Rocky Lara got into the 2014 race because she looked like a potentially strong candidate. But Pearce defeated her handily, 64 percent to 36 percent, and he won re-election last year, 63 percent to 37 percent.

New Mexicos 2nd District could be an example of a seat where the incumbent makes the seat look more comfortably Republican than it really is. Pearce is regarded as a hardworking incumbent who is aware of the demographic changes of his district. Now it will be up to Republicans to nominate someone who can replicate his success.

Even with the open-seat dynamic, Democratic strategists arent initially pushing the race to the top of their target lists. But Pearces absence, a large minority population, and potential midterm backlash against Republicans is enough to push the seat onto the list of competitive districts.

Were changing the Inside Electionsrace ratingfrom Solid Republican to Likely Republican. Democrats probably still need a political wave in order to win the 2nd District, but Republicans cant take the open seat for granted.

Correction 11:12 p.m. | An earlier version of this story misstated the result of the 2008 Republican Senate primary in New Mexico.

Get breaking news alerts and more from Roll Call on your iPhone or your Android.

The rest is here:
Rating Change: Open Seat Gives Democrats Takeover Opportunity in New Mexico - Roll Call

House Democrat: Party is struggling to ‘provide the meat’ in messaging – The Hill (blog)

A top House Democrat said in a new interview that his party must improve its core message to voters.

That message is being worked on, Rep. JosephCrowley (D-N.Y.)toldThe Associated Press.

Were doing everything we can to simplify it, but at the same time provide the meat behind it as well. So thats coming together now, the House Democratic Caucus chairman continued.

Despitethose struggles, Democratic leaders say the party must unite around a common message.

The Associated Press noted thatDemocratic National Committee Chair Tom Perez said last week that the party must articulate what it stands for.

The Democratic Party needs to up its game, Perez said in a speech, according to the news service. What I hear most from people is, Tom, we not only need to organize, but we need to articulate clearly what we stand for.

Democrats are preparing for the 2018 midterm elections, where they will be tasked with trying to win back both chambers of Congress.

Veteran Democratic operative James Carville predicted this week his party had a 50-50 chance of taking back the House in 2018, but had slimmer chances when it came to the Senate, despite only having to win three seats back.

The problem in the Senate is we have a large number of seats we have to hold in states thatDonald TrumpDonald TrumpFox News host defends Trump Jr.: I'd meet with the Devil for opposition research Officials clash at FEC over confronting Russian influence in 2018 elections Lewandowski: Great Russian spies wouldnt bring 8 people to a meeting MOREcarried. Indiana, Missouri, you know places like that we have to hold seats, Carville told John Catsimatidis on AM 970 in New York on Sunday.

The only places where we have an opportunity for pick up are, you know, Nevada is pretty good. After that Arizona is less good, then youre down to Texas and Alabama, and for Democrats to win the Senate back, they have to pick up three seats, he said.

As for the 2020 presidential race, Carville said primary voters will have a plethora of Democratic candidates to choose from, saying it will be double digits.

"There will be a number of serious candidates that are going to run on the Democratic side, and our party needs that, he said.

See more here:
House Democrat: Party is struggling to 'provide the meat' in messaging - The Hill (blog)

Democrat critiques Trump’s ‘infantile attack’ with baby photo – The Hill

Rep. Adam SchiffAdam SchiffDemocrat critiques Trump's infantile attack with baby photo Controversy over Trump Jr. meeting shows no signs of losing steam Key Democrat: 'We can't accept anything Don Jr. says' on Russia meeting MORE (D-Calif.), the ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee, slammed President Trump for his attack on the press earlier Sunday by posting a photo of an infant in his office.

Another infantile attack on the press by @realDonaldTrump today. On behalf of all infants, Rose says it's beneath the dignity of the office, Schiff wrote on Twitter.

Another infantile attack on the press by @realDonaldTrump today. On behalf of all infants, Rose says it's beneath the dignity of the office. pic.twitter.com/i4l4idDuFv

Schiff was responding to Trump, who criticized the media in several early morning tweets.

ADVERTISEMENT

The president also blasted the ABC News/Washington Post poll, which he said was just about the most inaccurate poll around election time.

Trumps most recent attack on the press corps comes as the White House deals with the fallout from news that Donald TrumpDonald TrumpFox News host defends Trump Jr.: I'd meet with the Devil for opposition research Officials clash at FEC over confronting Russian influence in 2018 elections Lewandowski: Great Russian spies wouldnt bring 8 people to a meeting MORE Jr. during the 2016 presidential election met with a Russian lawyer claiming to have harmful information about Democrat Hillary ClintonHillary Rodham ClintonFox News host defends Trump Jr.: I'd meet with the Devil for opposition research Officials clash at FEC over confronting Russian influence in 2018 elections Lewandowski: Great Russian spies wouldnt bring 8 people to a meeting MORE.

Here is the original post:
Democrat critiques Trump's 'infantile attack' with baby photo - The Hill

DeLeo picks Jamaica Plain Democrat as next budget chief – The Boston Globe

House Speaker Robert A. DeLeo (right) announced his choice of Rep. Jeffrey Snchez as chairman of the House Committee on Ways and Means.

The speaker of the Massachusetts House has chosen Representative Jeffrey Snchez to be the chambers next budget chief, elevating the self-described practical progressive to one of the most influential positions in state government.

Speaker Robert A. DeLeos decision gives the Jamaica Plain Democrat huge sway over taxes, public policy, and how $40 billion in taxpayer money is spent every year.

Advertisement

Snchezs promotion will put him in a role that has been used as a steppingstone to the speakers office, making him a potential candidate to succeed DeLeo whenever the 67-year-old retires. After a perfunctory vote of Democratic representatives Monday formalizing his new role, Snchez, who turns 48 this week, will arguably be the most powerful Latino elected official in Massachusetts history.

In a joint interview with DeLeo Sunday at the State House, Snchez said he comes into the job with great humility and a desire to help the states most vulnerable.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:

Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.

This position allows me an opportunity to continue my work to help the underserved in our Commonwealth, he said. Ive devoted my life to making sure that the most challenged have had a voice, and I want to continue that.

DeLeo said he picked Snchez, the current cochairman of the Joint Committee on Health Care Financing, because of his strong legislative record, ability to work with colleagues of all political stripes, and background in health care, which makes up a big chunk of state spending.

DeLeo also said that on a recent visit to Sanchezs Boston- and Brookline-based district, he saw a man who remained anchored to his constituents.

Advertisement

What that show[ed] me is a guy who hasnt forgotten the people that he represents, the Winthrop Democrat said.

While Snchez was notably short on specifics (hes brand new to the job and is learning, he said with a laugh), he emphasized that health care would play a big role in the budget discussions during his tenure, as they have for years.

State spending on Medicaid, the health program for the poor and disabled, has skyrocketed generally outpacing inflation, personal income, and tax revenue growth. The program eats up an increasingly large portion of the budget pie, constraining the cash available for everything else, from education to support for cities and towns.

In the fiscal year that began July 1, Medicaid will make up 40 percent of expected expenditures, although the state will be reimbursed by the federal government for perhaps half of those costs.

Asked whether they would be willing to consider reducing benefits or narrowing eligibility for Medicaid to reduce costs, DeLeo and Snchez demurred. Its one of the big issues we have relative to this discussion, the Speaker replied.

Snchez will step into the new role as policymakers grapple to finalize the state budget for this fiscal year, after months of tax revenues having come in far below expectations.

Governor Charlie Baker is expected to announce on Monday his take on the House- and Senate-passed budget. Among his options: signing it into law, vetoing some spending, and sending portions of the bill back to lawmakers with changes.

The announcement from DeLeo comes after the current chairman of the House Committee on Ways and Means, Representative Brian S. Dempsey, unexpectedly announced Thursday he is resigning and joining one of the states top lobbying firms.

DeLeo and Dempsey were often seen as ideologically aligned on the more conservative end of the Massachusetts Democratic spectrum.

Snchez earned his political chops working for Boston mayor Thomas M. Menino for about five years.

With his Senate counterpart, the House budget chief has a say on almost every major piece of legislation and takes the lead in making decisions about how the Legislature should appropriate billions in taxpayer dollars.

In good economic times, they must choose between a constant barrage of requests from fellow elected officials, lobbyists, and bigwigs. In a recession, the chairs must make hard decisions about what gets cut. It could be a decision, say, between less money for the Department of Children and Families, which serves the states most vulnerable youth, or fewer beds for the homeless.

And, of course, whether to raise taxes.

The state Constitution mandates that all money bills essentially legislation that transfers property or money from people to the state originate in the House. So if the House decides against raising taxes any year, representatives can thwart the Senates ability to hike them.

Asked if Massachusetts should raise taxes, Snchez said hikes should be the final option, and indicated a cautious approach, mentioning two successful ballot efforts to undo legislative tax hikes.

I think we have a history of raising taxes in this House. We passed a gas tax, we passed an alcohol tax the voters did repeal them, he said.

After lawmakers raised the per-gallon gas tax by 3 cents to 24 cents and linked future automatic increases to inflation, voters in 2014 nixed the automatic increases.

And in 2010, voters repealed legislators effort to apply the sales tax to booze.

Snchez called raising taxes a last resort but said he supported a so-called millionaires tax on high earners that will be put to voters via a constitutional amendment on next years ballot.

First elected to the House in 2002, Snchez represents a district that includes an economically and culturally diverse swath of two cities: parts of Jamaica Plain, Roslindale, and Mission Hill in Boston, and one precinct in Brookline.

Snchez, married with two daughters, is a graduate of the University of Massachusetts Boston and Harvards Kennedy School of Government.

Born in New York to parents who were born in Puerto Rico, Snchez grew up in Boston.

When he was 4 years old, his sister was sick, and their mother decided to move the family from New York to Boston in search of medical care.

Columbia Presbyterian wanted to chop her up, and my mother wasnt having it, he recalled. But her sister lived in Boston. So the three of them moved into his aunts small apartment in Roxburys Mission Main projects, and his mom fought to get his sister better treatment.

Asked what it means to him that he will be the first Latino chairman of the powerful House budget-writing committee, Snchez took several seconds to gather his thoughts.

Im a son of the city, he replied. Im proud because of who I am as a Puerto Rican man in Boston. And I know how important that is to a lot of folks. But at the end of the day, Im a kid from Boston thats just trying to do the right thing.

See the original post:
DeLeo picks Jamaica Plain Democrat as next budget chief - The Boston Globe