Archive for the ‘Iran’ Category

Netanyahu: Iran missile test must not go unanswered – BBC News


Bloomberg
Netanyahu: Iran missile test must not go unanswered
BBC News
Israel's prime minister has accused Iran of carrying out a missile test in "flagrant violation" of a UN security council resolution. Benjamin Netanyahu said he would raise renewing sanctions when he meets US President Donald Trump in February. Iran has ...
Iran will be a key topic when Netanyahu visits TrumpNew York Post
Netanyahu to Discuss Renewed Sanctions on Iran With TrumpBloomberg
Netanyahu, Trump to Meet February 15; PM to Urge New Iran Sanctions After Missile TestHaaretz

all 496 news articles »

See the original post here:
Netanyahu: Iran missile test must not go unanswered - BBC News

MIT engineering student from Iran barred entry into US – The Boston Globe

The executive order Trump signed late Friday puts a temporary moratorium on travel from seven countries while encouraging an effort to tighten the countrys screening of potential terrorists.

An MIT mechanical engineering student from Iran was among those barred from the United States on Saturday by President Trumps travel ban, prompting an outcry from the MIT community and thrusting her into a fiery national debate in Washington.

Niki Mossafer Rahmati, a junior who has a multiple entry student visa, had been trying to return to MIT after winter break, but was blocked from boarding her connecting flight from Qatar, along with about 30 other Iranians, she wrote on Facebook.

Advertisement

This will not secure the borders from terrorism and illegal immigrants. It will only increase racism in the American society, she wrote. The president is trying to make Islamophobia a norm and policy by which he wants to lead the country. There has not been a single terrorist activity from those 7 countries listed above, in the US.

A member of Sigma Kappa sorority, Rahmati is executive vice president of the MIT Panhellenic Association, and volunteers with Camp Kesem, an organization for children whose parents have cancer, according to a Facebook page launched by her supporters called Bring Niki Back. Her friends and sorority sisters held her up as an active member of the community and launched a phone bank to Congress and an online petition demanding that she be allowed to return. They also reached out to US Senator Elizabeth Warren, who cited Rahmatis story, among others, on the floor of the US Senate Monday night as she challenged the notion that the travel ban would make America safer.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:

Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.

None of these people are criminals. None of these people are threats. Theyre students at some of the worlds top universities, Warren said. Most of them have already been vetted and granted the right to come to America.

The executive order Trump signed late Friday puts a temporary moratorium on travel from seven countries while encouraging an effort to tighten the countrys screening of potential terrorists. But confusion has reigned since the weekend, with contradictory messages from the administration about how people with valid green cards would be handled. And even after the travel ban was halted by a one-week stay in the courts on Saturday, some people are still being blocked from returning to the United States, news organizations have reported.

In speaking of Rahmati in the Senate, Warren said that she was denied travel to the United states a second time on Sunday even after a stay had been imposed by the court.

Advertisement

An MIT spokesperson confirmed that Rahmati is a student affected by the travel ban. The universitys president had not previously mentioned her name but had told alumni and members of the school community in a Monday message that he was working to help two undergraduates who were barred from the United States because of the order.

MIT President L. Rafael Reif also noted that the university is broadly international, with more than 40 percent of the colleges faculty, 40 percent of graduate students, and 10 percent of undergraduates coming from outside the United States.

The Executive Order on Friday appeared to me a stunning violation of our deepest American values, the values of a nation of immigrants: fairness, equality, openness, generosity, courage, Reif wrote. The Statue of Liberty is the Mother of Exiles; how can we slam the door on desperate refugees? Religious liberty is a founding American value; how can our government discriminate against people of any religion?

He also encouraged people to work constructively to remedy the situation and to acknowledge that there are people of goodwill who see the measures in the Executive Order as a reasonable path to make the country safer, though he added, I am convinced that the Executive Order will make us less safe.

Link:
MIT engineering student from Iran barred entry into US - The Boston Globe

Ash Koosha: Acclaimed Iranian Musician on Being Newly Banned From US – RollingStone.com

On Friday afternoon, President Donald Trump signed an executive order to bar refugees and virtually everyone else from Iran, Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Somalia, Yemen and Libya from traveling to the United States. Beyond a violation of human rights that flies in the face of the Constitution, the move ultimately shuts down artistic conversations that musicians, filmmakers and other creatives have been holding across the continents for years.

Among those directly affected by Trump's ill-conceived executive order is Ashkan Kooshanejad, a 31-year-old producer who records wiry, crowded, and often quite beautiful electronic music as Ash Koosha. His most recent album, last year's I AKA I, released by art-dance stalwart Ninja Tune, was acclaimed by Pitchfork, The Wire, XLR8R and Resident Advisor among others. Rolling Stone named him an "Artist You Need to Know" last February, adding that his album was "uncompromising, dizzying and dense." He played esteemed electronic festival Mutek and did a "virtual reality" set for the Boiler Room. Still, Ash may be a lot better known in 2017 if he hadn't been put through the "extreme-vetting" ringer while attempting to promote his album's existence.

Rolling Stone caught up with Koosha, to talk about the morass the accomplished electronic artist now finds himself in.

Why are you so eager to talk about Donald Trump's seven-country ban on immigrants and visitors?Growing up in Iran, we spent our entire lives caught in the middle of a conflict. Everyone was discriminated against for no reason other than that we were Iranian. But this is time it's worse, because it affects refugees, who are in immediate danger, as well as scholars, technology executives and everyone else. It's not a new thing for us. The difference this time is that I'm really fed up. It's a straight-on slap in the face. I want to speak out because it's not just about me anymore; everyone is involved. People have to realize that the entire population of a country like Iran isn't involved with terrorism or radical Islam or whatever they're afraid of.

As an Iranian artist, you're already under siege in your home country. As one example, can you explain why were you arrested in 2007?We grew up in post-revolutionary Iran where, after nearly 40 years, there's still a clash of ideas about tradition versus modernizing, closed doors versus globalization, and so on. I grew up wanting to make things music, film, and technology but we were never allowed to express ourselves and were banned from performing. So our band, Font, decided to turn a wedding garden into a venue and perform peacefully in the suburbs. The government raided the gig, which was portrayed on TV as a "Satanist" concert, and arrested us. My grandma asked me if I was a Satanist and all I could say was, "No, no, no! We're just a bunch of punks trying to play guitar onstage!"

When did you know you had to leave Iran?We were serious people who wanted to create, but we were disconnected from the global culture industry. We made a film called No One Knows About Persian Cats as a way to seize the means of creation without censorship. But the film caused more problems for us, and that's how I ended up in the U.K. in 2010. They pushed me out of Iran and I was forced to start another life. I felt isolated in the U.K. because I wasn't part of the network of artists that develops in school and universities. We were total outsiders.

How did you keep going?A small group of us in London, Paris, and the U.S. started working together. But whenever I crossed the border between, say, England and France, I always had this feeling, even though my work was appreciated, that I was going to have trouble. That feeling was always there, and now it's been heightened. The U.S. says I'm probably a terrorist because I'm from Iran so I have to prove I'm not a terrorist.

What does it take to get a 01-B visa "for an Alien of Extraordinary Ability" to perform in the United States?I was accepted as a refugee in the U.K., and now I have permanent-resident status. The problem, however, is that you always carry your Iranian nationality with you. So even though the visa application process is the same for all U.K. artists, the Obama administration enacted an additional administrative process where they check deeply into your past. And it takes an additional two months, which caused my 2016 tour to be canceled even though we applied four months in advance. Bookers had to cancel our shows, which damaged my promotion for I AKA I. I wouldn't necessarily call myself a "victim," though, because I'm in a fucking great situation compared to all the refugees dying in Syria.

And your second 01-B visa application was approved?Yes, but I spent $3,000 that went right down the drain with the first application. The second one cost $1,500 for a fast-track visa. I wasn't checked at the border when I arrived in the US. Well, I wasn't questioned officially but the officer asked me, "How did you get this visa as an Iranian?" Which was kind of insulting. "Are you famous or something?"

"I don't know," I said. "Google me." You're automatically problematic if you're Iranian. Conservative Member of Parliament Nadhim Zahawi, who represents Stratford-upon-Avon, is now banned. A Syrian refugee is banned. And I'm banned. We're in deep trouble on a global scale.

I understand you're not even Muslim. How do you prove that to an American official?Please tell me how [laughs]. I'm an atheist, which is probably a bigger problem for me. I wouldn't even have a problem talking with someone about my past, because I like talking. The problem is that this goes way beyond that. This blanket order bans anyone who's remotely Iranian.

With the possible exception of "Shah" on I AKA I, your work doesn't seem particularly political. Do you see that changing?I don't directly put politics in my work. It's based on research and progress in the media. The social message is embedded in the work as expression rather than directly.

How do you see all this playing out?I think they'll sort it out within the next 90 days and U.K. citizens will be OK. And I'll be a U.K. citizen in two or three months. But agents have stopped booking me for shows in the U.S. They can't risk it. They'll stop booking everyone from Iran. I'm on hold now and can't say for sure what will happen. All I know is that it will cause a lot of problems for everyone, but especially businesses, universities and the cultural sector.

How frustrated are you?I'm frustrated but I'm not going to let this affect me. I'm probably going to do a holographic show where I can be present by augmented-reality tech. Either that or I'm going to have to start a Three Doors Down cover band [laughs].

Sign up for our newsletter to receive breaking news directly in your inbox.

Read the original post:
Ash Koosha: Acclaimed Iranian Musician on Being Newly Banned From US - RollingStone.com

US wrestlers plan to travel to Iran despite Trump’s ban – The Globe and Mail

The executive director of USA Wrestling said Monday that the American team still plans to compete next month in Iran, one of seven Muslim-majority countries whose citizens were temporarily banned from the U.S. by an executive order from President Donald Trump.

USA Wrestlings Rich Bender told The Associated Press that the Americans have every intention of travelling to Kermanshah for the mens freestyle World Cup on Feb. 16-17. Bender said the U.S. federation been given assurances from the Iranians that special attention is being given to their applications.

The scheduled trip to Iran will be the first major test for U.S. athletes travelling to one of the seven nations affected by Trumps 90-day ban, issued last week.

Were going to respect the laws and orders of those in leadership positions in government and figure out how to embrace those and work with them to secure proper documentation for athletes to come here and us to go there, Bender said.

Irans senior vice-president Ishaq Jahangiri, through the official IRNA news agency, said Monday that Trumps executive order was illegal, inhumane and against human rights.

The U.S. and Iran two of the worlds top wrestling countries have long found common ground on the mat. The U.S. wrestling team was the first American sports team to compete in Iran in nearly 20 years back in 1998, and the Iranian team has competed in the U.S. 16 times since the 1990s.

Wrestling has shown a long, rich history of transcending politics and participating despite governmental disagreements, Bender said. Thats the beauty of sport and the Olympic movement. Its about competition, not politics.

USA Wrestling plans to send 13 wrestlers, two coaches, a referee, a medical staff member, a videographer and other official delegates to Kermanshah, which is in western Iran some 310 miles southwest of Tehran.

The annual World Cups in each discipline are among the most prestigious tournaments in the world. Iran will also host the Greco-Roman World Cup in Tehran in March.

Continued here:
US wrestlers plan to travel to Iran despite Trump's ban - The Globe and Mail

75-year-old grandmother from Iran tells the story of her detention at LAX – Los Angeles Times

Marzieh Moosavizadeh and her grandson follow a routine when she visits almost every year from Iran.

The 75-year-old, who travels in a wheelchair and speaks little English, struggles to find direct flights to Phoenix, where he and his family live. So they meet in Los Angeles and he escorts her on the last leg of her trip.

This time was different.

Moosavizadeh landed at Los Angeles International Airport a day after President Trump signed an executive order banning citizens from seven predominantly Muslim countries, including Iran, from entering the United States.

Moosavizadehs plans to catch her last flight were upended when she said shewas held at LAX for nine hours with dozens ofother passengers who, like her, had no idea whether they would be released or sent back to their native country.

Sitting there for eight hours, for somebody who has arthritis, is very, very hard,Moosavizadeh saidwhile recounting her detention in an interview with The Times in Persian while her son translated by phone. Please, tell Mr. Trump when they make these kind of decisions, think it all the way through.

For Moosavizadeh, who her grandson said hasheld a green card since 1997, the anxiety set in when she landed shortly after 4 p.m. on Saturday.

Customs officers scanned her passport, held it up next to her head and told her to wait. Then, they ushered her to a room where she said a couple dozen passengers Iranians, Africans and Asians were being held.

She sat there for two hours before officers led her, along with a handful of others passengers from her flight, to another room filled with travelers from Iran.Shespent the next several hours there.

At about 6 p.m., Moosavizadehs wheelchair attendant offered her a cellphone to call her grandson.

She told him to go eat and rest she heard shed be held for a few more hours. He told her to stay calm, he wasnt going anywhere.

Every hour or so, Moosavizadeh said, officers would come by to escort passengers to the bathroom or drop off 8-ounce water bottles. The English-speakers implored them for answers.

Its out of our hands, the officers said. Their fate was up to their superiors.

Passengers were afraid to talk to one another, Moosavizadeh said. No one knew whether theyd be released or sent back to Iran.

Most of them, they thought they were going to get deported, she said, through her son.

At one point, she was taken elsewhere for questioning. Customs officers asked her when she last visited the U.S., who she lives with in Iran and where she gets her income.

When she returned, she snacked on almonds shed packed in her purse.

Thank God I put them in my purse, otherwise I didnt have anything on me, she said.

Meanwhile, in Phoenix, her sons frantically refreshed news articles and peppered her grandson, Siavosh Naji-Talakar, with questions he couldnt answer. Huddled amongthrongs of boisterous protesters demanding the detainees be released,Naji-Talakar could do little but wait.

Over and over, they chanted, Let them in! They said theywouldnt leave otherwise.

Some offered Naji-Talakar food and a couch for the night, others money for a hotel room.

Nearby, the detainees heard the cries, faintly. They had no idea, though, if those who had gathered were there to support or decry them. A customs officer, Moosavizadeh said, told the group that it wasnt safe for them to let them go.

Eventually, officers began calling passengers one by one. Detainees were taken away, alone or in pairs, while those left behind wondered if they were being released or deported.

We all thought they were going to give us hard time first and then send us back, Moosavizadeh said.

She added that she wants Trump to know that Muslims condemn Islamic State.

They might be Muslim, but theyre not a part of us, she said. We are all brothers and sisters and we dont believe in their values at all.

Moosavizadehs name was among the last ones called, at about 1 a.m.

Finally, she said, she was released from prison.

When she spotted her grandson in the crowd, she felt like she was flying.

He saw her too,and bolted.

I pushed people out of the way, I was like, Get out of my way, Naji-Talakar said. I ran up to her and gave a big old hug.

Thats when the cheering and chanting started again.

Over and over, We got grandma!

alene.tchekmedyian@latimes.com

Twitter: @alenetchek

ALSO

Thousands protest at LAX against Trump travel ban

When Muslims got blocked at American airports, U.S. veterans rushed to help

Live updates on protests against Trumps executive orderand reaction in Washington

View post:
75-year-old grandmother from Iran tells the story of her detention at LAX - Los Angeles Times