Archive for the ‘Iraq’ Category

Plane arrives in Minsk from Iraq to collect those willing to go back Lithuanian formin – Baltic Times

VILNIUS Lithuanian Foreign Minister Gabrielius Landsbergis says he's been assured by his Iraqi counterpart Fuad Hussein that a plane that took off from his country for Minsk on Friday is empty and is meant for collecting Iraqi nationals willing to go home.

"In the minister's words, it's an empty plane sent to collect people who have asked to come back. Several sources have confirmed that information," the minister told BNS on Friday.

The Iraqi Airways plane landed in Minsk before noon.

Based on unverified information, some 300 Iraqis have expressed their wish to go home, Landsbergis said.

Iraqi Airways announced on Thursday it was suspending flights to Minsk for a week. Landsbergis says he's been assured that flights suspended for ten days. The minister also said he asked Hussein for flights from Iraq to Minsk not to be resumed at all.

Landsbergis also says he's not received information on whether Iraq will send more planes to the Belarusian capital to collect its nationals.

"We agreed with the minister that we from the Foreign Affairs Ministry, with other institutions, will record people who want to go back. We have already asked documents of part of people from Iraq, and I have asked for them to be sent immediately so that these people dont change their mind," the minister said.

Lithuania wants flights from Iraq to Minsk to be suspended as part of people who arrive on these planed later attempt to illegally cross its border with Belarus.

Over 4,000 irregular migrants mostly Iraqi citizens have walked into Lithuania from Belarus illegally so far this year.

Lithuania has a state-level extreme situation declared over the migration influx which it says is being orchestrated by the Belarusian regime.

More here:
Plane arrives in Minsk from Iraq to collect those willing to go back Lithuanian formin - Baltic Times

U.S. military airstrikes target militias backed by Iran in …

WASHINGTON The U.S. military launched airstrikes against Iranian-backed militias in Syria in retaliation for drone attacks, the Pentagon announced Sunday evening.

The strikes targeted sites used to launch drone attacks on U.S. personnel and facilities in Iraq, Pentagon press secretary John Kirby said in a statement.

"Specifically, the U.S. strikes targeted operational and weapons storage facilities at two locations in Syria and one location in Iraq, both of which lie close to the border between those countries," Kirby said. "Several Iran-backed militia groups, including Kata'ib Hezbollah and Kata'ib Sayyid al-Shuhada, used these facilities."

F-15 and F-16 warplanes carried out the airstrikes, targeting three facilities that had been used to control the drones and for logistics, according to a defense official who was not authorized to speak publicly. All the pilots returned safely. It's too early to tell whether there were casualties on the ground among civilians or militants, the official said.

Navy Cmdr. Jessica McNulty said Sunday night that Iranian-backed militias launched five drone attacks against facilities used by U.S. and allied troops in Iraq since April. Militia members have also fired rockets.

The U.S. strikes hit their intended targets, McNulty said. "Their elimination will disrupt and degrade the operational capacity of the militia groups and deter additional attacks," she said.

President Joe Biden ordered a similar retaliatory strike in February. That was the first attack ordered by Biden and came in response to rocket attacks on a base in northern Iraq that killed a contractor and wounded U.S. and allied troops.

In April, U.S. officials attributed an attack on a base in northern Iraq to Iran-backed forces using small drones.

Marine Gen. Kenneth McKenzie, the top officer at U.S. Central Command, said attacks by small drones were a top concern.

Story continues

"The small drone threat, the quad-copter less than the arm's length of a human being, is what really probably concerns me the most in the theater, and this was an attack of that nature," McKenzie said. "We are still trying to determine the attribution of that attack. We recovered part of it. We got good people looking at it, and we'll eventually know where it came from."

Kirby stressed in his statement that Biden ordered the attacks in self-defense, an obligation the president has under the U.S. Constitution. It's an important distinction as Congress has moved to repeal the nearly two-decade-old war resolution that paved the way for the U.S. military invasion of Iraq.

"As demonstrated by this evening's strikes, President Biden has been clear that he will act to protect U.S. personnel," Kirby said. "Given the ongoing series of attacks by Iran-backed groups targeting U.S. interests in Iraq, the President directed further military action to disrupt and deter such attacks."

The attacks were designed as a deterrent against the militias that would avoid further escalation, Kirby said.

In January 2020, then-President Donald Trump ordered the killing of Iranian Gen. Qasem Soleimani in Baghdad. Iran retaliated with missile strikes on a U.S. base in western Iraq, wounding dozens of troops.

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Biden orders airstrikes in Syria, Iraq on Iranian-backed militias

Read the original here:
U.S. military airstrikes target militias backed by Iran in ...

U.S. Carries Out Airstrikes in Iraq and Syria – The New …

WASHINGTON The United States carried out airstrikes early Monday morning in Iraq and Syria against two Iranian-backed militias that the Pentagon said had conducted drone strikes against American personnel in Iraq in recent weeks, the Defense Department said.

At President Bidens direction, U.S. military forces earlier this evening conducted defensive precision airstrikes against facilities used by Iran-backed militia groups in the Iraq-Syria border region, the Pentagon spokesman, John F. Kirby, said in a statement.

Mr. Kirby said the facilities were used by Iranian-backed militias, including Kataib Hezbollah and Kataib Sayyid al-Shuhada, to store arms and ammunition for carrying out attacks against places where Americans were located in Iraq. There were no immediate reports of casualties but a military after-action review is ongoing, Pentagon officials said.

The strikes were the second time that Mr. Biden has ordered the use of force in the region. The United States carried out airstrikes in eastern Syria in late February against buildings belonging to what the Pentagon said were Iran-backed militias responsible for attacks against American and allied personnel in Iraq.

The latest strikes were carried out by U.S. Air Force fighter-bombers based in the region.

Pentagon planners have been gathering information for weeks on the sites and militia networks that use them, American officials said on Sunday. Defense Secretary Lloyd J. Austin III and Gen. Mark A. Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, briefed Mr. Biden on attack options early last week, and Mr. Biden approved striking the three targets, the officials said.

The strikes were carried out a little more than a week after Iran elected a hard-liner, Ebrahim Raisi, as its next president.

The military action also came as the negotiations intended to bring the United States and Tehran back into compliance with an international nuclear accord have reached a crucial juncture. President Donald J. Trump pulled the United States out of the accord in 2018, and Mr. Biden has been seeking to revive it.

On Sunday, Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken discussed the negotiations on the nuclear deal with Israels foreign minister, Yair Lapid, who said Israel had serious reservations about the accord, which would ease sanctions on Iran in return for limits on its nuclear program.

Earlier this month, the Biden administration blocked access to myriad websites linked to Iran after the nation held a presidential vote to install Mr. Raisi, a close ally of the clerical governments supreme leader, as its top elected official.

Pressure has been building for weeks from Democrats and Republicans in Congress, and from some of Mr. Bidens top advisers and commanders, to retaliate against the threat posed by the drones to American diplomats and the 2,500 U.S. troops in Iraq who are training and advising Iraqi forces.

At least five times since April, the Iranian-backed militias have used small, explosive-laden drones that divebomb and crash into their targets in late-night attacks on Iraqi bases including those used by the C.I.A. and U.S. Special Operations units, according to American officials. So far, no Americans have been hurt in the attacks, but officials worry about the precision of the drones, also called unmanned aerial vehicles, or U.A.V.s.

The drones are part of a rapidly evolving threat from Iranian proxies in Iraq, with militia forces specialized in operating more sophisticated weaponry hitting some of the most sensitive American targets in attacks that evaded U.S. defenses.

Iran weakened by years of harsh economic sanctions is using its proxy militias in Iraq to step up pressure on the United States and other world powers to negotiate an easing of those sanctions as part of a possible revival of the 2015 nuclear deal. Iraqi and American officials say Iran has devised the drone attacks to minimize casualties to avoid prompting U.S. retaliation.

American officials said the strikes against two targets in eastern Syria and a third just across the border in Iraq were carried out about 1 a.m. Monday local time by a mix of Air Force F-16s and F-15Es based in the region.

The fighter-bombers dropped multiple bombs 500-pound and 2,000-pound satellite-guided munitions on each of the three structures. American officials said the militias used the sites targeted in Syria mainly for storage and logistics purposes; the site hit in Iraq was used to launch and recover the armed drones, which officials said were either made in Iran or used Iranian technology.

Mr. Kirby and other administration officials characterized the strikes as defensive, but leading lawmakers demanded more details on Sunday.

Congress must be briefed on these airstrikes without delay, said Senator Tim Kaine, Democrat of Virginia, who has led the fight to limit presidential war powers for a decade from the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. If the strikes were against militias that were using U.A.V.s to attack American personnel, that would be a conventional self-defense action that is justified. But we need to know more.

Michael P. Mulroy, a former C.I.A. officer and top Middle East policy official at the Pentagon, has warned that with the technology provided by Irans Quds Force the foreign-facing arm of Irans security apparatus the drones are rapidly becoming more sophisticated at a relatively low cost.

This action should send a message to Iran that it cannot hide behind its proxy forces to attack the United States and our Iraqi partners, Mr. Mulroy said on Sunday.

But Mr. Bidens top aides have also said they want to avoid the angry rhetorical jabs and tit-for-tat threats that Mr. Trump often engaged in with Iran and its proxies in Iraq, and avoid escalating tensions with Tehran at a time when the White House is trying to nail down the nuclear deal.

The airstrikes in February against the same militias were also a relatively small, carefully calibrated military response: seven 500-pound bombs dropped on a small cluster of buildings at an unofficial crossing at the Syria-Iraq border used to smuggle across weapons and fighters.

Those earlier strikes were just over the border in Syria to avoid diplomatic blowback to the Iraqi government. The same calculus influenced the planning for the strike on Monday two of the three targets were in Syria along the Iraqi border, and the third was just inside Iraqi territory. The strikes took place early Monday in part to avoid any civilian casualties, officials said.

The United States took necessary, appropriate and deliberate action designed to limit the risk of escalation but also to send a clear and unambiguous deterrent message, Mr. Kirby said.

How the militias and Iran will respond is unclear, and American officials said the relatively small set of airstrikes were unlikely to stop the militia attacks completely. After the February strikes, there was a lull in militia activity against American locations for several weeks, but then an even more dangerous threat emerged: the small armed drones.

Jennifer Steinhauer, Julian Barnes and John Ismay contributed reporting.

Read the original:
U.S. Carries Out Airstrikes in Iraq and Syria - The New ...

US military launches airstrikes against three facilities …

The U.S. military has conducted defensive precision airstrikes against three facilities near the Iraq-Syria border region Sunday evening.

According to Pentagon press secretary John Kirby, the facilities are used by several Iran-backed militia groups, including Kata'ib Hezbollah (KH) and Kata'ib Sayyid al-Shuhada (KSS), that engaged in unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) attacks against U.S. personnel and facilities in Iraq.

"As demonstrated by this evening's strikes, President Biden has been clear that he will act to protect U.S. personnel. Given the ongoing series of attacks by Iran-backed groups targeting U.S. interests in Iraq, the president directed further military action to disrupt and deter such attacks," Kirby added. "The United States took necessary, appropriate and deliberate action designed to limit the risk of escalation but also to send a clear and unambiguous deterrent message."

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

A U.S. defense official with knowledge of the strikes told Fox News that U.S. Air Force F-15s and F-16s were used in the operation. The strikes took place at approximately 6 p.m. Eastern Time, or 1 a.m. local time.

At least one facility used by Irans militia forces to launch and recover drones was destroyed, the official added. Recent strikes by the crude drones have targeted Americans in Baghdad and Erbil in northern Iraq.

The official said he does not expect "a lot of casualties" from the Iranian-backed forces because of the time of the strike.

All U.S. jets returned to base without a problem, the official added.

Sunday's airstrikes are the latest operation carried out against Iranian-backed military groups, following Biden's first known military action in February, when an airstrike targeted a compound in Syria operated by KaitaibHezbollah andKaitaibSayyid al-Shuhada.

Originally posted here:
US military launches airstrikes against three facilities ...

US airstrikes target Iran-backed militias in Syria, Iraq …

WASHINGTON (AP) The U.S. military, under the direction of President Joe Biden, conducted airstrikes Sunday against what it said were facilities used by Iran-backed militia groups near the border between Iraq and Syria.

Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby said the militias were using the facilities to launch unmanned aerial vehicle attacks against U.S. troops in Iraq.

Kirby said the U.S. military targeted three operational and weapons storage facilities two in Syria and one in Iraq.

He described the airstrikes as defensive, saying they were launched in response to the attacks by Iran-backed groups.

The United States took necessary, appropriate, and deliberate action designed to limit the risk of escalation but also to send a clear and unambiguous deterrent message, Kirby said.

Sundays strikes mark the second time the Biden administration has taken military action in the region. In February, the U.S. launched airstrikes against facilities in Syria, near the Iraqi border, that it said were used by Iranian-backed militia groups.

The Pentagon said those strikes were retaliation for a rocket attack in Iraq in February that killed one civilian contractor and wounded a U.S. service member and other coalition troops.

At that time, Biden said Iran should view his decision to authorize U.S. airstrikes in Syria as a warning that it can expect consequences for its support of militia groups that threaten U.S. interests or personnel.

You cant act with impunity. Be careful, Biden said when a reporter asked what message he had intended to send.

On Sunday, Kirby said Biden has been clear that he will act to protect U.S. personnel. Given the ongoing series of attacks by Iran-backed groups targeting U.S. interests in Iraq, the President directed further military action to disrupt and deter such attacks.

The Pentagon spokesman added: As a matter of international law, the United States acted pursuant to its right of self-defense. The strikes were both necessary to address the threat and appropriately limited in scope.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said in a statement Sunday that the U.S. airstrikes appear to be a targeted and proportional response to a serious and specific threat, adding, Protecting the military heroes who defend our freedoms is a sacred priority.

More here:
US airstrikes target Iran-backed militias in Syria, Iraq ...