Archive for the ‘Iraq’ Category

Trump site hacked by attacker purportedly from Iraq – TNW

You knew this was going to happen sooner or later: A server on President Trumps campaign site, donaldjtrump.com was hacked on Sunday and defaced with an image and message from an attacker claiming to hail from Iraq.

Ars Technica noted that secure2.donaldjtrump.com bore an image of a man in a fedora with the following message:

Hacked By Pro_Mast3r ~ Attacker Gov Nothing Is Impossible Peace From Iraq

The pages source code included a link to a JavaScript fileon a defunct Google Code account that was found to be associated with the hacking of at least three other sites but it seems like the snippet was harmless. The server has since gone offline; it didnt seem to be linked from the main sites homepage. Another one at secure.donaldjtrump.com is being used to facilitate secure contributions to the campaign, but there doesnt seem to be a connection to the secure2 server from the site.

A search for Pro_Mast3r didnt surface anything relevant, so it isnt clear exactly who was behind the attack and what purpose it served.

Weve contacted the Trump-Pence campaign team to learn more and will update this post if theres a response.

Secure Trump website defaced by hacker claiming to be from Iraq on Ars Technica

Read next: Learn the skills to market your brand globally and take an extra 50% off the price

Shh. Here's some distraction

Here is the original post:
Trump site hacked by attacker purportedly from Iraq - TNW

Iraq starts operation to drive ISIS out of west Mosul

The operation comes weeks after Iraqi forces recaptured eastern Mosul across the Tigris River. On the first day of the new offensive, Iraqi Federal Police forces said they killed 79 ISIS militants, destroyed weapons facilities and regained control of 10 villages.

The prime minister described the operation as a "new dawn" in the liberation of Mosul, ISIS' last major stronghold in the country.

"Go forward with my blessing, heroic forces of Iraq," he said on state television.

ISIS seized Mosul, Iraq's second-largest city, in 2014. The offensive to retake the city began in October with a push by the Iraqi army, counter-terrorism forces, federal police and Kurdish Peshmerga fighters.

The area has been targeted by airstrikes in the past. This operation marks the first major ground offensive.

Iraqi forces will not be able to attack across the river because all five bridges connecting the eastern and western parts of the city are heavily damaged. The offensive is expected to come from the south and west.

Moreover, the older part of the city has warrens of alleys that are impassable to military vehicles. Save the Children warned that "the impact of artillery and other explosive weaponry in those narrow, densely populated streets is likely to be more deadly and indiscriminate than anything we have seen in the conflict so far."

In addition to killing militants and retaking 10 villages, Iraqi Federal Police forces said they destroyed 13 booby trapped vehicles and dismantled 30 explosive devices.

Forces also destroyed five explosive belts and three tunnels and seized a store of projectiles.

On Friday and Saturday, American-made, Iraqi-owned F-16 warplanes carried out attacks in Wadi Akab industrial areas of western Mosul that destroyed multiple targets, Iraqi Joint Operation Command said.

The targets included six makeshift factories for booby trapping vehicles and two makeshift workshops for armoring vehicles, the statement said.

Additionally, forces destroyed a large warehouse of weapons and explosives, another building where foreign experts in booby trapping were stationed, two vehicles laden with explosives and two more loaded with heavy machine guns.

The leaflets said Iraqi forces would be "providing guidance and recommendations" for citizens ahead of the offensive. It also warned ISIS members to turn in their weapons and surrender "before they face their inevitable fate at the hands of our heroic forces."

"The situation is distressing," said Lise Grande, the UN humanitarian coordinator for Iraq. "People, right now, are in trouble. We are hearing reports of parents struggling to feed their children and to heat their homes."

CNN's Ben Wedeman contributed to this report.

See the rest here:
Iraq starts operation to drive ISIS out of west Mosul

‘We’re not in Iraq to seize anybody’s oil:’ Pentagon chief arrives in Iraq with a message of cooperation – Washington Post

BAGHDAD Defense Secretary Jim Mattis made his first trip to Iraq as Pentagon chief on Monday to determine what is needed to accelerate the campaign against the Islamic State, hours after rejecting a suggestion by President Trump that the United States might take Iraqs oil.

I think all of us here in this room all of us in America have generally paid for our gas and oil all along, and I am sure we will continue to do so in the future, Mattis said during a meeting with reporters Sunday night. Were not in Iraq to seize anybodys oil.

Mattiss rejection of the idea came after repeated claims by Trump that the United States should have taken Iraqs oil during the Iraq War. Trump suggested last month that maybe well get another chance to do so during a visit to the Central Intelligence Agency, generating new concerns about his position.

The defense secretarys comments are one of several ways in which he has tried to sound a reassuring tone for allies since leaving Washington last week. In both Brussels and Munich, he promised audiences that the Trump administration will maintain its obligation to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, which calls for all members to help if one is attacked, but warned that America might moderate its support in other ways to nations who do not meet defense spending guidelines set by NATO.

[Defense Secretary Mattis disagrees with Trump, says he does not see media as the enemy]

In Iraq, Mattis anticipates getting a better sense for the political situation, the enemy and the coalitions Iraqi partners, he said. This visit comes with less than two weeks before Mattis, a retired Marine general and Iraq War veteran, is expected to deliver to the White House a set of recommendations that could include ordering more troops into Iraq or Syria or delegating more powers to battlefield commanders to streamline decision-making.

Were going to make sure were certain weve got good, shared situation awareness of what we face as we work together and fight alongside each other to destroy ISIS, Mattis said.

One day before Mattiss trip to Iraq, local forces there launched an offensive to take back the western side of Mosul, the countrys second-largest city. Militants seized it in June 2014 as they swept across the western and northern parts of the country and the Iraqi military crumbled. The government has since taken back several key cities, including Fallujah and Ramadi, and last month liberated the eastern half of Mosul.

Mattis said U.S. military advisers will have the same role that they did during the liberation of eastern Mosul on the western half of the city, an indication they will be near the front lines when Iraqi troops attack, but not directly involved in fighting unless something unexpected happens. Combat is expected to be fierce, with block-by-block engagements against fighters in thickly settled neighborhoods.

The coalition forces are in support of this operation, and we will continue with the accelerated effort to destroy ISIS, Mattis said.

Mattis may also be asked by senior Iraqi officials to address the Trump administrations plan to issue a new executive order that could restrict travel from some Middle Eastern and African countries. The first one, issued Jan. 27, caused a backlash as scores of people were detained at U.S. airports. It was suspended earlier this month in federal court, and a new streamlined version could be introduced within a week.

Mattis, who was surprised to find that the original version did not include any special considerations for Iraqi interpreters who served the U.S. military in combat, said Sunday that he has not seen a draft of Trumps forthcoming executive order, but was given assurances that we will take steps to allow those who have fought alongside us, for example, to enter the country.

They will have been vetted, obviously, by their performance on the battlefield as well as by the normal procedures, and Im sure well work through this quickly, Mattis said.

The countries affected by the original ban were Iraq, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen.

Related stories: Mattis attempts to reassure NATO allies as the Trump administration deals with fallout from Flynns ouster

Placing Russia first among threats, Mattis warns of Kremlin attempts to break NATO

Mattis makes first trip to Europe as Pentagon chief while mulling changes in Afghanistan and anti-ISIS fight

Iraq resumes offensive to retake Mosul from Islamic State, prime minister says

Follow this link:
'We're not in Iraq to seize anybody's oil:' Pentagon chief arrives in Iraq with a message of cooperation - Washington Post

Fears for missing Iraq war veteran suffering from PTSD who … – Mirror – Mirror.co.uk

The heartbroken family of a missing Iraq war veteran and PTSD-sufferer said they are desperate to get him home.

Paul Ellis is believed to have travelled by train from Glasgow to Edinburgh on Saturday afternoon.

The 53-year-old arrived at Waverley station at 2.35pm and boarded a train for London, although it is unclear if he arrived there.

The family of the former teacher, who served two tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan with the Royal Navy Reserve, are concerned for his welfare, the Daily Record reported .

They said: Pauls family love him so much and were desperate to get him home. We just want to know that hes OK.

Pauls sisters were due to visit him at home on Saturday but he wasnt in when they got there.

Police inspector Gary Ritchie said: Paul requires to take medication and we know he has some with him but were not sure if it is sufficient for his needs.

Paul is 5ft tall, slim, clean shaven and with grey hair.

He was last seen wearing a dark North Face puffer jacket and jeans and carrying a blue rucksack.

Link:
Fears for missing Iraq war veteran suffering from PTSD who ... - Mirror - Mirror.co.uk

Iraq Starts Offensive to Retake Western Mosul From ISIS – New York Times


New York Times
Iraq Starts Offensive to Retake Western Mosul From ISIS
New York Times
ERBIL, Iraq Iraq opened the next chapter in its offensive to drive the Islamic State out of Mosul on Sunday, preparing an assault on the western half of the city. Overnight, planes carpeted the ground with leaflets, directly appealing to the group's ...
Iraq starts operation to drive ISIS out of west MosulCNN
Iraq Opens Offensive On Western Mosul In New Push To Reclaim ISIS StrongholdNPR
Mosul assault: Iraq troops make headway against ISBBC News
CBS News -Los Angeles Times -Reuters
all 498 news articles »

Original post:
Iraq Starts Offensive to Retake Western Mosul From ISIS - New York Times