Archive for the ‘Mike Pence’ Category

Pence, Jordan’s Abdullah discuss Islamic State, Syria, US embassy in Israel: White House – Reuters

WASHINGTON U.S. Vice President Mike Pence and Jordan's King Abdullah on Monday discussed a range of issues from speeding up the fight against Islamic State, the crisis in Syria, and efforts to reach an agreement between Israelis and Palestinians, the White House said.

Abdullah, the first Arab leader to hold talks with the new administration, also raised the issue of potential changes to the U.S. embassy in Israel, the White House said in a statement.

President Donald Trump is expected to greet Abdullah at a prayer event in Washington on Thursday, White House spokesman Sean Spicer separately told reporters in a daily briefing.

(Reporting by Ayesha Rascoe; Writing by Susan Heavey; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama)

WASHINGTON Nationals from the seven Muslim-majority countries temporarily blocked from entering the United States by President Donald Trump's executive order on immigration may not be granted admission any time soon, Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly said on Tuesday.

PARIS French police searched presidential candidate Francois Fillon's office in parliament on Tuesday as an inquiry into alleged fake work by his wife threatened his campaign and party leaders began to consider a 'Plan B' without him.

BAGHDAD The next round of United Nations-based peace talks on Syria have been scheduled for February 20, British ambassador to the United Nations Matthew Rycroft said on Tuesday.

View original post here:

Pence, Jordan's Abdullah discuss Islamic State, Syria, US embassy in Israel: White House - Reuters

Protesters March From D.C. Mosque To Mike Pence’s House – Huffington Post

WASHINGTON A little less than a mile down Massachusetts Avenue from the vice presidents residence, on the strip known as Embassy Row, is the Islamic Center of Washington, D.C.

The mosque was dedicated by President Dwight Eisenhower. Its the house of worship where President George W. Bush went six days after the terrorist attacks of 9/11 to declare Islam is peace and reassure Muslims in America that they should not live in fear.

Those who feel like they can intimidate our fellow citizens to take out their anger dont represent the best of America, they represent the worst of humankind, and they should be ashamed of that kind of behavior, Bush said.

Sunday evening, hundreds of Americans who felt that President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence had forgotten that message rallied in the dusk to remind them, marching up the hill from the mosque to Pences new home bearing candles.

They wanted to tell Muslims they are welcome, and speak out against Trumps executive order barring people from seven Muslim countries from entering the U.S.

Starting here in front of the mosque in D.C., a block over from the vice presidents residence, is very symbolic, said Shalani Malaki, an immigrant of Nigerian and Indian descent.

I wanted to come out today to stand up to the hate thats been shown by President Trump and his administration so far, said Sean Redding of D.C., who had also marched earlier near the White House as numerous other demonstrations blossomed all over the country.

I think America is a kind country, and Im feeling that today, Redding said.

Pence probably did not hear the chants of Shame! Shame! Shame! and No hate, no fear, everyone is welcome here. He might have noticed the flashing lights of the police escorts, or the horns of passing cars honking in support.

Either way, the marchers wanted to show the new administration and people who might want to come to America that immigrants are still welcome.

We are here to support all immigrants and refugees who are trying to enter our country, said Gillian Singer, a Tulane University student from Maryland who brought her parents along to protest.

Being Jewish, and seeing these kind of xenophobic, racist bans, this kind of just craziness, it worries me, it really frightens me about what this man will do, said her father, Paul Singer.

The Singers, like many others in the throng, pledged that Trump and Pence would be hearing from them again, and often.

We have to keep reminding ourselves that this isnt normal, and we need to keep fighting back, Gillian Singer said. All I have to say to Donald Trump is welcome to the next four years.

More:

Protesters March From D.C. Mosque To Mike Pence's House - Huffington Post

JK Rowling Goes Biblical on Mike Pence – Newser


Newser
JK Rowling Goes Biblical on Mike Pence
Newser
On Sunday, Rowling retweeted a December 2015 tweet in which Mike Pence said "calls to ban Muslims from entering the US are offensive and unconstitutional," per Mashable. Rowling's commentary on Pence's tweet was a single biblical quote: "For what will ...
JK Rowling slams Mike Pence with a Bible verseAOL News

all 5 news articles »

More:

JK Rowling Goes Biblical on Mike Pence - Newser

Vice President Mike Pence speech right at home at March for Life – CNN

"Life is winning," Pence declared Friday at the March for Life rally in Washington.

His address to the anti-abortion rally marked the highest ranking US official to speak to the group in person. It's also not the first time he has addressed the group.

"More than 240 years ago, our founders wrote words that have echoed through the ages. They declared these truths to be self-evident, that we are all endowed by our creator with certain unalienable rights and among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness," he said to a sizable crowd who braved the cold for the speeches.

Pence referenced the Supreme Court case of Roe vs. Wade, saying the court had "abandoned" ideals in the first amendment but now things were turning around with the new administration.

"That is evident in the election of pro-life majorities in the congress of the United States of America. But it is no more evident in any way than in the historic election of a president who stands for a stronger America, a more prosperous America, and a president who I proudly say stands for the right to life," the vice president said, joined by his wife, Second Lady Karen Pence, and daughter, Charlotte.

It was friendly territory for the former Indiana governor, whom many viewed as an evangelical and conservative Christian presence on the Republican ticket. Pence spoke often and freely of his opposition to abortion on the campaign trail, which is deeply linked to his Christian faith.

Friday's message follows President Donald Trump re-signing the so-called Mexico City executive order, banning non-governmental groups from performing and promoting abortions.

In one of his biggest solo appearances on the campaign trail in October, Pence received a standing ovation from Liberty University students as he declared, "I'm pro life and I don't apologize for it."

During his speech, Pence said, "I believe a society can be judged by how it deals with its most vulnerable. The aged. The infirm. The disabled. And the unborn."

Pence promised on the trail that if elected, he and Trump would "embrace a culture of life in America" and sign a bill banning late-term abortions.

He also promised to uphold the Hyde Amendment, which he said would prevent the use of taxpayer dollars to fund "that which millions of Americans find to be morally objectionable."

During the Voter Values Summit in September, Pence told a Washington ballroom of conservative activists that he would "send Roe versus Wade to the ash heap of history where it belongs," a line that elicited cheers and applause to the hundreds of attendees. The line was a constant crowd-pleaser on the trail ranging from Iowa to Florida.

Pence, who described himself on the stump as "a Christian, a conservative, and a Republican," said at the time, "I'm truly grateful for Donald Trump's strong commitment to the sanctity of life. He understands the moral imperative of advancing the cause of life, and we've spoken of it many times."

He also frequently referenced his anti-abortion rights initiatives as governor of Indiana, pointing to millions of dollars of additional funding that he provided to crisis pregnancy centers so that "women facing crisis pregnancy have more choices before them and can choose life."

See original here:

Vice President Mike Pence speech right at home at March for Life - CNN

New life for Mike Pence’s tweet calling Muslim ban ‘offensive and unconstitutional’ – MarketWatch

An old assertion of Vice President Mike Pences raised eyebrows over the weekend as it emerged from the annals of Twitter and stood as a direct contradiction to President Donald Trumps new executive order banning immigration from Muslim-majority countries.

Calls to ban Muslims from entering the U.S. are offensive and unconstitutional, then-governor Pence tweeted at 7:30 a.m. on Dec. 8, 2015.

Pence even went so far as to double-down on those comments later that same day in northwest Indiana, telling reporters: The United States cannot, and should not discriminate on the basis or religion.

The free exercise of religion is at the very heart of our constitutional guarantees for all persons in this country, he concluded.

Read: Giuliani says Trump asked him how to legally ban Muslims

While some outlets have reported that Pence deleted the tweet amidst Trumps current agenda, it remains archived on his gubernatorial Twitter page.

The irony of the more than year-old statement was not lost on the internet, where Pence was hung out to dry.

Governor Mike Pence with some strong words for Vice President Mike Pence, wrote user Josh Jordan.

Pences surprising declaration was unearthed mere hours after the new VP stood behind President Trump, smiling and clapping as the POTUS signed an executive order barring travelers from seven Muslim-majority countries from coming into the U.S. for the next 90 days.

This report originally appeared in NYPost.com.

More here:

New life for Mike Pence's tweet calling Muslim ban 'offensive and unconstitutional' - MarketWatch