Archive for the ‘Progressives’ Category

President hired Israeli to frustrate card readers APC

National Publicity Secretary, All Progressives Congress, Alhaji Lai Mohammed | credits: File copy

The All Progressives Congress says President Goodluck Jonathan has employed an Israeli expert to interrupt the frequency of card readers on the election day in order to frustrate the use of the machines.

The APC, in a statement by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said the card reader jammers can undermine the effectiveness of the card reader from over 100 metres.

The statement read, We can authoritatively inform Nigerians that the morbid fear of card readers by the Jonathan administration and the PDP has now been translated into concrete action: They have hired an Israeli to do the dirty job of jamming the card readers.

To those who might accuse us of crying wolf, they should realise that every alarm we have raised in the past has been true, including that the Jonathan administration was pushing for the postponement of the elections and that they are mortally afraid of the use of Permanent Voter Cards and card readers.

The APC said the Israeli was hired specifically to develop three prototype card reader jammers, and that he has now developed three of such jammers to be carried in the pockets of trusted PDP stalwarts on election day with a view to disabling the card readers within the state radius.

The party said that apart from disabling the card readers, the jammers would also disable all telephones and computers within the radius of those carrying them on their persons.

It said an order had been placed for 75,000 pieces of the jammers at a cost of $200 per piece, bringing the total cost to $15m.

The statement added, The plan is to deploy the card jammers to the areas deemed to be the strongholds of the APC, such as the North-West, North-East, North-Central and the South-West.

It is the planned procurement of the jammers that has given the confidence to the administration and party officials to continuously boast that Buhari will never rule Nigeria, and also the reason why a chieftain of the PDP boasted last week that the card readers wont work, thus advising INEC to make alternative arrangements.

Read the original post:
President hired Israeli to frustrate card readers APC

Benue massacre: Buhari says bloodshed not a solution

Fomer Head of State, Maj-Gen. Mohammadu Buhari (retd.) | credits: file photo

The All Progressives Congress Presidential Campaign Organisation has condemned the frequent resort to violence in dealing with perceived grievances by the people.

Reacting to the incident at Agatu Local Government Area of Benue State where dozens, mainly women and children, were killed in cold blood by suspected herdsmen, the APC Presidential candidate in a statement in Abuja on Monday said that the resort to violence in whatever form was not acceptable and justifiable, no matter the grievances.

Mallam Garba Shehu, Director of Media and Publicity of APCPCO, said Maj. Gen. Buhari was deeply saddened that the cordial relationships that once existed among the people have been replaced by intolerance and hate.

According to the statement, leadership is the key to dealing with frequent communal clashes between Fulani and Benue communities over disputes about farmland and grazing land.

Shehu said political leaders should be able to build trust among the people as the basis for dialogue, adding that if the people can no longer listen to their leaders, such crises might persist and make life more miserable for the people.

While condoling with the families of the of the latest victims of violence in Benue State, the APCPCO called on all politicians, regardless of party division, to unite and speak with one voice over such embarrassing incidents.

According to Shehu, the interested parties should recognise the rights of each other and be able to make compromises for the sake of peace.

He said that confidence building remained the only approach the people could have to bring the people together for dialogue at the negotiation table.

He said, In moments of tensions, leaders should rise to the occasion and be part of the solution.

Read the original post:
Benue massacre: Buhari says bloodshed not a solution

APC accuses Jonathan of unleashing thugs on Lagosians

The All Progressives Congress has accused President Goodluck Jonathan of carrying his re-election desperation to a new height on Monday, when he unleashed thugs on Lagos residents during a sponsored Oodua Peoples Congress protest against INEC Chairman, Attahiru Jega.

In a statement issued in Lagos on Tuesday by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the party said just as it had alerted the nation in its press statement on Sunday, the Presidents supporters, led by the OPC, took to major roads in the city during rush hour traffic to unleash mayhem on the citizens, creating massive gridlock that prevented many workers from reaching their places of work and destroying any APC campaign poster they could lay their hands on.

They said we are raising false alarm. But just as we had alerted Nigerians, the Jonathan Administrations sponsored protest took place, with dire consequences for residents. However, the Presidents chances in the forthcoming elections suffered a collateral damage as the nine-billion-Naira-powered protest backfired, with even supporters of the President being forced to have a rethink due to the massive scale of the lawlessness and brigandage that took place during a supposedly peaceful protest, it said.

APC said the next plot by the Jonathan Administration is a series of anti-Tinubu demonstrations in Lagos, for which the planners have been mobilised with millions of Naira.

During the forthcoming demonstrations, the protesters have been told to carry placards asking the EFCC to probe the allegations made against Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu in the deceitful, ill-intentioned and irresponsible documentary that was sponsored by the same Jonathan Administration. Such is the level of President Jonathans desperation for re-election that a man who is not on the ballot in the forthcoming elections has become a target of unprecedented mudslinging by his (Presidents) Administration, the party said.

It said, taking into consideration the sponsored protests by MASSOB and the OPC, the unprovoked and virulent attacks on the Presidential candidate of the APC, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, the sponsored documentary of lies as well as the planned demonstrations against Tinubu, and the inciting statements by First Lady, Patience Jonathan, who has asked her supporters to stone APC members and supporters, there is undisputed evidence that President Jonathan himself is leading the campaign to make the elections violent and Nigeria ungovernable.

It is a cruel irony that a President who swore to an oath to make the security and welfare of Nigerians his priority has been the same one orchestrating reprehensible acts of violence in the polity, to the detriment of the well-being and safety of his compatriots, just because of re-election desperation.

Because they (protesters) were pro-Jonathan, hordes of policemen who could not prevent a deadly robbery, in which three policemen lost their lives in Lagos a few days back, offered massive protection to the OPC members who brandished guns, machetes, clubs and knives openly as terrified Lagos residents scampered for safety.

It is noteworthy that the policemen who protected the OPC members during their protest did not stop them from destroying APC posters and other campaign materials, neither did they prevent them from unleashing mayhem on the people. As far as the increasingly-partisan security agents were concerned, everything done in support of President Jonathan is fair.

We are therefore alerting all Nigerians as well as the international community to note that President Jonathan himself is the one setting the stage for violence before, during and after the forthcoming polls, despite his tiring platitude that his political ambition is not worth the blood of any Nigerian. From this precarious situation to which the Administration and the PDP have pushed Nigeria, it is but a short cut to Laurent Gbagbos post-election Ivory Coast, APC said.

Read more from the original source:
APC accuses Jonathan of unleashing thugs on Lagosians

APC alleges planned card readers sabotage on election day

The All Progressives Congress has said it has uncovered a plot by the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan and the Peoples Democratic Party to render card readers ineffective on election day.

It says this move is to justify their (Jonathan and PDP) fears about the use of the card readers and ultimately to scuttle the polls.

This allegation was contained in a statement in Lagos on Monday by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed.

APC said, We can authoritatively inform Nigerians that the morbid fear of card readers by the Jonathan Administration and the PDP has now been translated into concrete action. They have hired an Israeli, Gyora Berger, to do the dirty job of jamming the card readers.

To those who might accuse us of crying wolf, they should realise that every alarm we have raised in the past has been true, including that the Jonathan administration was pushing for the postponement of the elections and that they are mortally afraid of the use of PVCs and card readers

The party added that the Israeli was hired specifically to develop three prototype card reader jammers, which he had accomplished, developing three of such jammers (25 metres, 50 metres and 100 metres range) to be carried in the pockets of trusted PDP stalwarts on election day with a view to disabling the card readers within the state radius.

The party said apart from disabling the card readers, the jammers would also disable all telephones, iPads, etc within the states radius of those carrying them on their persons.

It equally alleged that an order had been placed for 75,000 pieces of the jammers at a cost of $200 per piece, bringing the total cost to $15m.

APC claimed the jammers would be air freighted to Nigeria next week.

It added, The plan is to deploy the card jammers to the areas deemed to be the strongholds of the APC, such as the North-west, North-East, North-Central and the South-West.

View original post here:
APC alleges planned card readers sabotage on election day

APC plots to plunge Nigeria into crisis PDP

March 16, 2015 : John Alechenu and Fidelis Soriwei 67 Comments

The Peoples Democratic Party has accused the opposition All Progressives Congress of plotting to plunge the country into anarchy over the fears of alleged impending defeat at the general elections rescheduled for March 28 and April 11, 2015.

The National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Chief Olisah Metuh, alleged in a statement in Abuja, on Monday that the APC had resorted to creating panic by raising false alarm.

This, the PDP said, was aimed at causing disturbances out of frustration because of the lies and empty promises it hadbeen peddling have been exposed.

The PDP spokesman said the APC had adopted a position to destroy the country if they failed to capture political power.

He alleged further that the leaders of the party had raised several false alarms intended to rubbish the electoral system, create panic and to push the country to the edge of crisis.

National Publicity Secretary of the APC, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, in his reaction, however, said the PDP was simply reacting to the fact that its desperate plot to frustrate the elections was daily being exposed.

He said, Ask them, didnt we cry out that they were planning to postpone the elections from February 14?Did it not happen? We cried out that they were planning to reject the use of card readers. Did it not happen? When the elections were postponed, did they not rejoice and address the press, welcoming the development?

The truth of the matter is that their plots are leaking every day. Only yesterday, we cried out that they were giving ethnic militias money to demonstrate against Jega. Did it not happen today?

However, Metuh referred to a claim by APC National Leader, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, on March 12, 2015, that there were plots to assassinate him and another claim in a statement of the APC on March 15, 2015, where it was claimed that there were plots to assassinate the partys Presidential candidate, Maj. Gen. Muhammadu Buhari(retd.).

See the original post:
APC plots to plunge Nigeria into crisis PDP