Archive for the ‘Progressives’ Category

Jonathan shouldnt play politics with Chibok girls APC

The All Progressives Congress on Thursday urged President Goodluck Jonathan to secure the release of the schoolgirls, who were abducted from Chibok, Borno State, by the Boko Haram sect over six months ago if indeed the Presidency knows where they are.

The party, in a statement by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, in Abuja, said the President should not seek to make political gains out of the situation.

It said, Mr. President, tongues are wagging that you know where the girls are and that you want them to be released only when it will give you the maximum political advantage. We dont know if this is true or not, but if it is, please release the girls now.

It is cruel and unconscionable for anyone to use these girls as pawns on a political chessboard. They have now been in captivity for over six full months. Please, end the agony of the girls parents and, indeed, of all Nigerians.

The APC said President Jonathan has exhibited an unprecedented nonchalance over the plight of the girls.

It noted that the President waited for 19 days before admitting that the girls had been abducted, losing a critical window of opportunity to rescue them from their abductors.

The party said, A little over a month after the girls were abducted, the Chief of Defence Staff said the security leadership in the country had located where Boko Haram is holding the abducted girls. Since then, Nigerians have been waiting for the girls to be rescued, to no avail. No one has told Nigerians the problems that are mitigating against the release of the girls, be it logistic or otherwise.

More recently, on September 23, the military tweeted the imminent release of the girls, only to retract the statement shortly, thereafter. However, in the intervening period, thousands of supporters of the President had gathered at the Pierre Hotel in New York to welcome the President (who was then in New York for the UN General Assembly session) after the release of the girls, while media interviews had been booked for him. No one has told Nigerians why that imminent release of the girls was botched.

The party added that a flurry of nocturnal activities had been going on to negotiate the release of the girls, even after the same government said it would never negotiate their release.

It is clear that President Jonathan has suddenly shown more interest in their release after his consensus nomination as the PDP candidate for next years elections. Our appeal, therefore, is for the President to allow the immediate release of the girls, rather than wait for when it will give maximum boost to his political fortunes, it said.

Go here to read the rest:
Jonathan shouldnt play politics with Chibok girls APC

PDP planning anarchy in Osun -APC

TheAll Progressives Congress has accused the Peoples Democratic Party in Osun State of planning to deliberately cause crisis in the state with its interpretation of the ruling of the Appeal Court.

The Director of Publicity, Research and Strategy of the APC in Osun State, Mr. Kunle Oyatomi, who said this in a statement on Wednesday, called on security agencies in the state to be at alert to prevent the opposition party from throwing the state into confusion.

The Court of Appeal had thrown out the appeal filed by the Independent National Electoral Commission and the Resident Electoral Commissioner in the state, Ambassador Rufus Akeju, seeking to upturn an earlier judgment of a High Court that Akeju could not preside over the 2011 election in the state because of his alleged relationship with former Lagos State Governor, Bola Tinubu.

The PDP interpreted the striking out of the appeal to mean that all elections conducted by the REC had become invalid and state lawmakers and members of the National Assembly from the state should be sacked.

The statement read, Security agencies should be prepared to nip in the bud the threat to peace and security, which the Peoples Democratic Party has become over the issue of the Appeal Court ruling in Akure, which struck out INECs appeal against its Resident Electoral Commissioner, Amb. Toyin Akeju, from supervising the 2011 legislative elections in the state.

From competent information we have and the intelligence deductions we could make from the PDP chairman, Alhaji Gani Olaoluwas statement to forcefully stop the lawful business of the State House of Assembly, it is obvious that the PDP planned to orchestrate mayhem in the state.

Had there been a declaration, ruling or judgment on the 2011 legislative elections by the Federal High Court, Osogbo? We should ask the mischievous PDP people: what was the issue the INEC appealed against? Did it include that pertaining to the elections for which the High Court did not restrain it from conducting? In fact, the High Court refused that prayer.

We therefor appeal to the security officials not to allow illiterates, who are currently leading the PDP in the state, to throw Osun into confusion.

We are particularly grateful for the response of the State Police Command, which put paid to PDPs attempt to create mayhem at the State House of Assembly on Monday and we also like to emphasise that the threat to peace and security from the PDP is not over yet.

Olaoluwa had said the implication of the appellate courts ruling was that lawmakers produced by the election, which Akeju supervised, should be sacked.

Original post:
PDP planning anarchy in Osun -APC

Rivers APC, group clash over Wikes resignation

THE All Progressives Congress in Rivers State and the Grassroots Development Initiative have disagreed on Wednesdays resignation of the Minister of State for Education, Chief Nyesom Wike, and his move to contest the 2015 governorship election.

While the state APC saw Wikes resignation and governorship ambition as a political suicide, the GDI maintained that his resignation was an answer to calls that he (Wike) should quit the Federal Executive Council and contest the governorship primary of the Peoples Democratic Party in the state.

The State Publicity Secretary of the APC, Mr. Chris Fynebone, said in an interview with our correspondent that Wike would suffer the worst defeat in the hand of any governorship candidate should he (Wike) contest the 2015 election.

Fynebone cautioned that the political calculation in the state did not support anybody from Ikwerre to succeed the current governor of the state, Mr. Rotimi Amaechi, who hails from the same area as Wike.

I am speaking as an Ijaw person now. We learnt that Wike has resigned to contest the 2015 governorship election. It is a political suicide because he will suffer the biggest defeat any governorship candidate has ever suffered.

His ambition will estrange the Ijaw people from the Ikwerre people and this means he (Wike) will get less than five per cent of the votes from the Ijaw people.

The very moment he (Wike) picks the ticket to contest the governorship election, voting based on party lines or affiliation will melt away, the state APC publicity secretary added.

But the Secretary-General of GDI, Mr. Samuel Nwanosike, described Wikes resignation and governorship ambition as a welcome development, adding that the former minister has what it takes to win the forthcoming poll.

Nwanosike, who spoke in a telephone interview with our correspondent on Wednesday, explained that the former minister would leave no stone unturned to clinch the sole ticket of the PDP.

He boasted that the grand patron of GDI would not only win the PDP primary election, Wike would also win the general election.

Read the original here:
Rivers APC, group clash over Wikes resignation

Rivers APC, group differ on Wikes resignation, ambition

The All Progressives Congress in Rivers State and the Grassroots Development Initiative have disagreed on Wednesdays resignation of the Minister of State for Education, Chief Nyesom Wike and his move to contest the 2015 governorship election.

While the state APC sees Wikes resignation and governorship ambition as a political suicide, the GDI maintained that his resignation was an answer to calls that he (Wike) should quit the Federal Executive Council and contest the governorship primary of the Peoples Democratic Party in the state.

State Publicity Secretary of the APC, Mr. Chris Fynebone, said in an interview with our correspondent that Wike would suffer the worst defeat by any governorship candidate should he (Wike) contest the 2015 election.

Finebone cautioned that the political calculation in the state did not support anybody from Ikwerre to succeed the current Governor of the state, Mr. Rotimi Amaechi, who hails from the same area with Wike.

He said, I am speaking as an Ijaw person now. We learnt that Wike has resigned to contest the 2015 governorship election. It is a political suicide because he will suffer the biggest defeat any governorship candidate has ever suffered.

His ambition will estrange the Ijaw people from the Ikwerre people and this means he (Wike) will get less than five percent of the votes from the Ijaw people.

The very moment, he (Wike) picks the ticket to contest the governorship election, voting based on party lines or affiliation will melt away.

But the Secretary-General of GDI, Mr. Samuel Nwanosike, described Wikes resignation and governorship ambition as a welcome development, adding that the former minister has what it takes to win the forthcoming poll.

Nwanosike, who spoke in a telephone interview with our correspondent on Wednesday, explained that the former minister would leave no stone unturned to clinch the sole ticket of the Peoples Democratic Party.

He boasted that the grand patron of GDI would not only win the PDP primary election, Wike would also win the general election.

See more here:
Rivers APC, group differ on Wikes resignation, ambition

Emulate Aregbesolas education policy, Akande tells FG

Osun State Governor, Rauf Aregbesola | credits: File copy

A leader of the All Progressives Congress in Lagos State, Chief Ayo Akande, has asked the Federal Government to adopt the child education policy of the Osun State governor, Rauf Aregbesola, in primary and secondary schools across the country.

A statement on Tuesday quoted Akande as saying this in Ogba, Lagos, at the thanksgiving prayer organised to celebrate the re-election of Aregbesola.

Aregbesola of the APC won a re-election on August 9, 2014, defeating the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Iyiola Omisore, and others.

Akande said the feeding of pupils in all the public schools in Osun State was a unique education policy meant not only to give the pupils a sense of belonging but to also promote learning and understanding.

He said, The child education policy is a social responsibility and commitment that provides a solid foundation for the total development of the child and growth of the nation.

In view of its novelty and contribution to the development of education, the Aregbesole model should be adopted by the Federal Government in all primary and post-primary schools in the country.

The party chieftain said the provision of a good learning environment was not limited to physical structures in public schools.

The mental stability of the pupils to assimilate what they are being taught by their teachers is equally important, hence the feeding policy of the Aregbesolas administration to give the mental stability to pupils in Osun public schools should be commended and emulated, he said.

Akande, who said a hungry man was an angry man, noted that it would be difficult for a pupil to assimilate what the teacher teaches if such pupil was hungry.

More:
Emulate Aregbesolas education policy, Akande tells FG