Thousand Oaks adopts anti-hate resolution in wake of white supremacist demonstration – VC Star

Urged by some for at least a year to adopt an anti-hate resolution, the Thousand Oaks City Councilfinally did Tuesday night in the wake of a recent white supremacist demonstration in Newbury Park.

"It is of deep concern to me that they choseour town … perhaps thinking that their views might be welcomehere," Mayor Bob Engler said. "These reprehensible views are not welcome anywhere, much less in the city we all love."

"The resolution has been attacked as not strong enough or too strong or unnecessary," hesaid. But "to not pass this resolution tonight sends a message, and I'm afraid it will be the wrong message."

Subscription sale:Get 6 months of unlimited access for just $1. Subscribe today!

The resolution, introduced by council memberClaudiaBill-de la Pea, was passed on a 4-0 vote with council member Kevin McNamee abstaining on free speech grounds.

Voting for it wereBill-de la Pea, Engler, and councilmen Al Adamand Ed Jones.

The resolution states that while the city "supports the First Amendment rights of all people, and will protect the rights of all to peaceably speak and assemble, the city will also vigorously protect the rights, equality, and safety of all.

Thus, the resolution authorizes the City Council to take "an official position againstbigotry, white supremacy, anti-Semitism and hate speech in the city."

It states that in doing so, the City Council continues to be guidedby its No. 1 goal of creating a "more equitable, accessible, safe, welcoming, and inclusive government and community regardless of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, physical or mental ability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, language, education, and/or socio-economic status."

Speak out:White supremacists rally in Thousand Oaks; some wonder why city leaders lag in response

The council adopted the resolution atthe conclusion of a lengthy hearing in which several dozen public speakers addressed it, many in favor,many against.

Thousand Oaks resident Cindy Goldberg supportedthe resolution, noting that the councilrefusedto adopt one last year.

"I support the city's public affirmation denouncing racismand bigotry in our community," she said. "There'san old saying that ends, 'if not now, when?'" shesaid.

"I understand that there was anti-racism resolutionpresented to the council last year for review, and it never materialized on the agenda," Goldberg said."I hope this time, the city takes action. It should not be difficultto publicly state that there is no room forhate in Thousand Oaks."

Bill-de la Pea agreed, saying, "I'm glad to have an opportunitythis eveningto do something that should have been done a year ago."

La Shaun Aaron told the councilshe is continually surprised that "you all are so surprised about racism and acts of racism" in Thousand Oaks. "We have spoken time and time again at council meetings … (and)I see complicity and I see silence.

"Some council members and unfortunately some community members as wellkeep coming to these meetings saying, 'Well, I don't see racism.'" said Aaron, co-founder of anti-hate racismgroup 805 Resistance, which unsuccessfully pushedthe councillast year to adopt an anti-hate resolutionand to create an equity commission.

Tim Totonis one of them, saying, there is"a non-existent, manufactured racistsociety narrative.

"The good people of Ventura Countyare sick and tired of race-baiting," he said.

In deciding to abstain, McNamee said that while he does not tolerate any kind of hate, "the challenge here is that it's under freedom of speech and as much as I deploreit, they have the freedom of speech to say so."

"Thereare some racists within our community," he said. "There are some white supremacists within our community. But in total, I don'tsee Thousand Oaks asbeing aracist community."

Hate not welcome:Ventura City Council reaffirms condemnation of racism, white supremacy

Bill-de la Pea introduced the resolutionin response to the white supremacist demonstration Feb 12.

About a dozen masked white supremacistsbriefly unfurled banners from the Highway 101 Borchard Road overpass, including two that said, "White Lives Matter," and "Honk If White Lives Matter."

Another banner said, "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children."

According to the Anti-Defamation League'swebsite, that sentence is the so-called "14 words," "the most popular white supremacist slogan in the world."

Using a drone, the demonstrators made a video of the so-called "banner drop," and posted it online on a messaging app calledTelegram.

Officials say the demonstration action was meant to be a recruitment tool.

Newbury Park resident DanielMoody, who monitors hate groups online, said he's certain the white supremacists who conducted the Newbury Park action were members of the Southern California chapterof a white supremacist/neo-Nazi group called White Lives Matter.

Dan Meisel, the ADL's regional director for Ventura, Santa BarbaraandSan Luis Obispocounties, also said the demonstrators appear to be partof the White Lives Matter network. The nonprofit ADL fights anti-Semitism and hate.

Thousand Oaks Police Chief JeremyParis said at Tuesday night's council meeting that the demonstrators don't appear to be local.

"All indications are that … these people came from out of the area," hesaid. "And that this was part of a nationwide planned activity."

Mike Harris covers the East County cities of Moorpark, Simi Valley and Thousand Oaks, as well as transportation countywide. You can contact him at mike.harris@vcstar.com or 805-437-0323.

SUPPORT LOCAL JOURNALISMand get all the latest Moorpark, Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, and transportation news from Star reporter MikeHarris. Get a digital subscription

Read the original post:
Thousand Oaks adopts anti-hate resolution in wake of white supremacist demonstration - VC Star

Related Posts

Comments are closed.